Wednesday, February 15, 2006

S.A.D. - Singles' Awareness Day...

My good friend wrote this wonderful ballad about V-day... you know, that holiday in Febuary that sets people a spinning... seeing shades of pink and red and white and well, you get the picture. The chorus jingles:
I hate Singles' Awareness day, yah! I hate Valentines' day.
*repeat*
It's a very good song that makes me laugh everytime I hear it... I swear she should sell the lyrics and tune to Adam Sandler and make a bunch of dough to pay for college and beyond. I'm pretty sure it would make #1 on the charts.

On to my banter about the day:
Surprisingly enough it actually wasn't depressing to be...yes, man-less, this Valentine's Day, as nearly every other v-day in my past was exactly the same. Perhaps one would attribute my not missing companionship to the fact that I did go out for dinner with one of my apartment-mates. She was fine company to dine with, let me assure you, and the evening was complete with absolutely no awkward moments, as the custom of dining with a male-date on v-day might impose. Going out with the girls is a fine alternative to avoiding such moments, or staying in to make dinner and a movie so as not to have to intrude the masses of couples and pda in the popular restaurant choices. One of my flatmates' parents are planning to dine out the day after to avoid just that. Even late in the evening I marvelled when I entered a local grocery store only to find people still pouring over the v-day cards, what remained of the isles of chocolate goods, and the poor-poor floral department in hopes of finding the seriously last minute gift for their expecting loved ones. Honestly, the sheer commeralization of love nearly negates the genuineness of such feelings.

One might add that I was labeled SuperSingle the night before v-day when given three yellow roses by a couple who were giving single roses to the single gals in my home-group... All I could do was smile. *grin*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home