Sunday, August 07, 2005

simply 'a walk in the woods'

Today I noticed some strange parallels in my recent existence.

What do Bill Bryson's book "A Walk In the Woods," MEC, and Grassi Lake trail have in common?

"A Walk In the Woods" is a book that my dear TX best friend had recommended to me this past month as a must read. I began reading it just a day or so before I left for Canada and it's been a nightly ritual to read some pages/chapters in it after I have crawled into bed. And today I couldn't help but realize that Bryson's excellent writing of his backpacking the Appalachian Trail double-teamed with the ironic fact that United Airlines ripped a gaping hole in my newly bought backpack/roller-duffel bag and my hike today at Grassi Lake must have been what triggered the immediate search online for a genuine takes-a-lickin'-and-keeps-on-tickin' durable backpackers' pack to haul my things back home. I stumbled across MEC (the Canadian version of our REI) and found a simple fairly priced (in Canadian dollars no less!) pack in sage and black (for the fashion conscious). Believe it or not, just about everything (and yes, I forgot to pack light for this trip) fit into this pack, and without wheels but not without straps I can hook myself into this contraption and whala... I look like a genuine... nah, let's just say I look like I'm ready to hold a cardboard sign that say, "Austin or Bust" standing on the edge of a Highway... or on a bike or something close to that.

1 Comments:

Blogger AC said...

Nice buy. That stanks that they can tear your bags and then somehow miraculously free themselves from responsibility...get home fast I miss you terribly.

Mon Aug 08, 09:15:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home